Interesting facts about oranges.
- Orange is the third most popular flavor in the world, after vanilla and chocolate
- One medium sized orange can give you the same amount of fiber as 7 cups of cornflakes
- Don't throw out the peel! Orange peels can be used as medicine against anxiety, depression and constipation.
What are you getting in a Well bottle of orange juice, besides a tasty fruit?
Orange juice has a long list of health benefits. Below are 7 science backed reasons to drink OJ.
1. Vitamin C- Most people are aware that oranges contain vitamin C. What they may not know is that one small orange contains 85% of the recommended value of vitamin C. Vitamin C is known to have a number of benefits such as boosting your mood by increasing the release of oxytocin, and improving brain function by preventing neuronal damage. A study done on office workers, showed that those who had high doses of vitamin C were less fatigued (1)
Vitamin C is most commonly known as an immune boost. It does this by increasing the functioning of various white blood cell types and decreasing the replication of viruses. This helps to decrease the duration of colds, flues, and infections.
2. Folate- Folate is one of the B vitamins (B9) and can be found in many foods but citrus fruits such as oranges have some of the highest concentrations. A glass of orange juice provides 19% of the daily value. Pregnant women are recommended to consume natural sources of folate, such as orange juice, because folate helps to prevent birth defects associated with the spine and brain by up to 70%. It also decreases the risk of a premature birth. Folate is helpful for those suffering from anemia, restless leg syndrome, muscle pain, and nerve pain.
3. Antioxidants- Orange juice is a great mix of antioxidants found in vitamin c, b, flavonoids and carotenoids. All these work to prevent diseases such as Alzheimer, Parkinson, Crohn's disease as well as preventing inflammation.
4. Helps Your Bones- Healthy bones are essential for your overall health. Although many people are aware of the role calcium and vitamin D play in strengthening bones, most people don't know that vitamin c is also important. Vitamin C deficiency has been linked to low bone mineral density. Low bone mineral density increases your risk for osteoporosis and fractures. It also increases fatigue, digestive problems and weak immunity. You can prevent all this by simply drinking a glass of orange juice or eating an orange each day.
5. Promotes Gum Health- If you've ever experienced oral pain, you know how important healthy gums and teeth are. Researchers however now believe that healthy gums may be directly linked with a healthy heart. Weak gums produce bacteria that release toxins which eat away at your gums and teeth. Researchers now think that these bacterias can also cause cardiovascular disease because oral bacteria can attach to plaque and obstruct blood flow. They also cause respiratory infections when oral bacteria is inhaled into the lower respiratory system. Orange juice is full of antioxidants that helps to protect gums (and your heart) from harmful bacteria.
6. Improves Digestion- Studies show there is a close link between your digestive system and your immune system (2). Not only is the digestive track responsible for absorbing the nutrients that keep your body healthy, but problems within the digestive system can affect your mood and cognition. This may be due to the fact that 90% of serotonin is produced in the digestive track not the brain. The fiber in orange juice acts as a prebiotic which keeps healthy bacteria in the gut alive, these bacteria produce other nutrients such as fatty acids that help your body stay healthy.
7. Helps with weight loss- Orange juice is a nutrient rich low-calorie option for those aiming to maintain a healthy weight. It is also loaded with fiber, which helps to keep you full longer. Scientists at Harvard University found that foods containing certain types of flavononids, called flavonols, which are found in high concentrations in oranges (strawberries and blueberries) is linked to weight loss (3)
Suggestion: If you feel a cold coming one, pair our Well OJ with our Well Elixir Shot to ward off a cold.