Enjoy it All: A More Approachable Alternative to Dieting

 

We are constantly being inundated with messages about what to eat and drink, but we need to consider the why.

There's a problem today with diet culture.  

Yoyo dieting is the vicious cycle of losing weight, regaining and losing again. This can not only be frustrating, but dangerous to your health. You usually "fail" at a specific diet because it's too restrictive and it doesn't teach you how to eat normally in a balanced way. When you lose the weight and then regain, it's increasingly difficult to lose the weight the next time. Your body remembers the deprivation and stores for future needs. It also decreases your good cholesterol and increases depression. Your bad habits will always win if you just restrict and deprive yourself of cravings. Giving up all of your favourite foods often leads to binge eating and overeating.

Emotional Triggers are always a key component of failed diets. We know eating healthy can help you maintain a healthy weight and avoid certain health problems, but your diet can seriously affect your mood. Eating a typical unhealthy diet, full of processed foods, and refined carbohydrates has been linked to increased stress, anxiety and development of mental health disorders. Eating a healthy, well balanced diet improves your energy and mood. Overall, your dietary pattern is important and that means switching to a healthier diet doesn't have to be an all or nothing thing. You don't need to be perfect and you don't need to eliminate everything.

Restricting and depriving yourself is not sustainable. When it comes to eating well, it's about creating healthy lifestyle choices. So allow yourself foods in moderation and this will help you form a realistic and sustainable approach. So yes, fit those cravings in. Live by the 80/20 rule, where you're diligent and mindful of the food you eat 80% of the time and fulfill those cravings and leave room for hiccups the other 20%.

Remember, your body and brain require a steady supply of food and nutrients. Each macronutrient performs a different function. 

Protein: necessary for growth and repair
Fats: necessary for Vitamin & Mineral absorption, hormone regulation, and formation of cell structures
Carbs: the body's primary source of fuel

 

By restricting or eliminating any of these food groups, you prevent your body from being able to optimally perform. 

Think of your diet in terms of colour, variety and freshness. Avoid processed  foods with confusing ingredients and opt for fresh ingredients you prepare yourself. Visualize your plate differently, so you're getting the essential building blocks you need with proper portion sizes. Find those healthy staples that you love and eat them often. Maybe that's making green smoothies or healthy snacks to take to work. Maybe you're low on your leafy greens this week. Mix in a cold pressed Well Greens or Spent. With 3 pounds of fruit and veg that goes into every bottle, you can get that extra boost you need.

Living a happier and healthier life shouldn't seem daunting, because it's easy to do! Change the way you look at food and realize the potential you have from simply changing up your diet and getting those essential building blocks you need.

 

Stay Well.

 

This post brought to you by Smart Fuel.



Older Post Newer Post